Friday, July 31, 2009

What we share with a banana

Some of you may know of my interest in psychology and the why and the how of the human mind.

My study of psychology, to date, has not convinced me that it is anything other than a pseudo-science. Shoot me if you like but as far as I am concerned trying to reconcile the objective, the human body (which is a bundle of atoms and molecules) – with the subjective, the life essence itself, thoughts and emotions (which can only be guessed at) is fraught. To me such a reconciliation cannot be done. To do so you will have to convince me that the brain and the mind are one and the same thing (as far as I am concerned they are not).

The body is a physical entity that can be touched and measured whereas thoughts and emotions and the very essence of life itself are but ‘objects’ of pure speculation. They cannot be seen, touched or measured in any way.

To emphasise what I mean I have learned, from my text book, that we share half our genes with the humble banana. Where does that place psychology!!

No comments: