Tuesday, August 18, 2009

ESP

Most people, I believe, will have an opinion about extra- sensory perception (ESP) or psychic phenomena. I also believe that a person’s views will be either a ‘Yes. I believe’ or a ‘No. I don’t believe.’ It would be difficult to be in a ‘maybe’ position.

Most of the ‘no's’ would be of the opinion that there is no scientific evidence for the existence of ESP and would take a 'You can’t prove it, therefore it doesn’t exist,’ type approach. I understand this but because many scientists have a silo mentality regarding their particular discipline they are unable, or unwilling to see outside their particular box and therefore miss or overlook the signals from other disciplines.

Think of it this way - we have all heard of the famous Einstein equation E=MC2, which I understand means that ultimately, matter and energy are the same – matter is energy and energy is matter. Now energy can be measured (I think), by an oscilloscope in a wave form. If this is correct then everything, all matter, including humans, is giving out energy waves all the time. We humans then are transmitting these waves even now – thoughts, bodily heat and (I am sure) other forms of energy that I know nothing about.

If energy waves can be measured by a machine then why is it not possible to contemplate that human beings (and other life forms) could equally ‘receive’ this energy and ‘measure’ it by way of Extra-Sensory Perception – I mean it is the same energy after all? We casually use the phrases like “I picked up his vibes” or “I had bad vibes about that,” or “She is a good person to be around – she makes me happy”, so we all actually have a sense of this ‘energy’. There are many stories about domestic animals being ‘aware’ and sensitive to ESP and there are many people who at least claim to have this ability.

I have written before that I had an ESP experience, many years ago now, which is still vivid and comforting. The trouble is it would be impossible to recreate, in a laboratory, the exact situation, circumstance, mood and emotion that ‘created’ the ambience which ‘allowed’ the psychic event to occur.

This is the ‘scientific’ problem but it does not mean that ESP does NOT exist.

No comments: