Wednesday, January 4, 2017

A wife makes a home

There is no doubt about it, as far as I am concerned. After nearly a year since my wife died, I definitely agree with the old saying that a (loving) wife makes a home.

Women have the ability, that I think most men don’t have, to make a place “homely” – very difficult to define. There is a warmth, a comfort, an ability to arrange furniture, photographs on a dresser, how the cushions are arranged on a sofa, the tidiness in the kitchen, the look of a made up bed – little things – to make a place look “nice”. Certainly all different from the way that I do it on my own.

I am a reasonably tidy person but I don’t always see the incongruity of the way I do things. I mean I use one plate, one bowl, one cup, one glass, one spoon, one fork, one knife – these are kept on the drip tray after they have been washed. Why put them away in the cupboard or drawer? I’m just going to take them out again! But I do make the bed every day! I sleep on alternate sides for a week at a time - then I change the sheets. Aren't I good!!

And I do (really) close the lid of the toilet (water closet? - whatever) after use!

The house is clean (sort of). I do dust and I do use the vacuum cleaner but I am not regular in their use. I clean when it becomes obvious – not a really good practice!!

And cooking – most people’s taste buds would not have evolved enough to appreciate my cooking! Very basic - healthy with lots of vegetables and fish - but no “frills”. Not cooked with the loving care that my wife applied. I cook because I have to eat. Still, I am in good health apart from some age related problems (a few aches here and there) but I am taking no medication at all. Which is good for 76. No?

But still, without a wife (after 36 years of a close and very emotionally rewarding marriage) the house is most certainly not the same. It is a place to sleep and eat but not really a home like it was.


Oh well! Not much I can do about it is there? Life carries on regardless.

Note: I am going to add a big one - one that I, at least, didn't miss until it wasn't  there - social contacts. Women (and my wife in particular was very good at this) are good at generating and maintaining social contacts.
I am not!!

No comments: