Tuesday, February 21, 2017

The Plutocrat

Those of you who may regularly read what I write will be aware of my love of poetry and of a few references to writers and composers of verse.

In this instance I quote from the Lebanese American poet and author, Kahlil Gibran – he who wrote the well-known book, “The Prophet”.

This is a very short tale from another of Gibran’s books, “The Forerunner”:-

The Plutocrat

In my wanderings I once saw upon an island a man-headed, iron-hoofed monster who ate the earth and drank the sea incessantly. And for a long time I watched him. Then I approached him and said, “Have you never enough; is your hunger never satisfied and your thirst never quenched?”

And he answered saying, “Yes, I am satisfied, nay, I am weary of eating and drinking; but I am afraid that tomorrow there will be no more earth to eat and no more sea to drink.”

Anyone you know to which this may apply? 

No comments: