Friday, April 5, 2019

The kindly years.

The years – time – sometimes deals kindly with us humans. I certainly feel privileged to have lived my seventy-eight years with the love bestowed on me, for my good health (thus far!) and the emotional strength I have garnered over the years. For that I am truly grateful. 

There are negatives of course. Life never progresses at a steady pace on a smooth, straight path from one end the other. On the positive side one meets many wonderful fellow wayfarers on one’s journey through life. Some, one learns to love, and they become very close, even as a wife (as in my case) or one’s children; others become good friends, others again, are acquaintances. But one learns from them all.

On the negative side is the inescapable fact that people die. And of course a whole raft of customs, religious “rules and regulations”, have developed around the process of dying and the aftermath. But is death truly the end?

As always in moments of intense emotion I seek solace in poetry. Poets more often than not seem to be better attuned to the emotional aspect of the human condition. 

This from John Masefield:

The Word

My friend, my bonny friend, when we are old,
And hand in hand go tottering down the hill,
May we be rich in loves refined gold,
     May love’s gold coin be current with us still.

May love be sweeter for the vanished days,
     And your most perfect beauty still as dear
As when your troubled singer stood at gaze
     In the dear March of a most sacred year.

May what we are be all we might have been,
     And that potential, perfect, O my friend,
And may there still be many sheafs to glean
     In our love’s acre, comrade, till the end.

And may we find when ended is the page
Death but a tavern on our pilgrimage.
                        

Maybe it will be as Kahlil Gibran wrote in “The Prophet”:

“A little while, a moment to rest upon the wind, and another woman shall bear me”.

Or, to quote John Masefield again, from  “A Creed”:

“I held that when a person dies
     His soul returns again to earth;
Arrayed in some new flesh-disguise
     Another mother gives him birth.
With sturdier limbs and brighter brain
The old soul takes the roads again.”

So what will it be? Is Magucha’s soul, after “a moment to rest upon the wind” ready to be “arrayed in some new flesh-disguise” and so grace the world with her love, her indomitable spirit, her courage and feistiness and so be a loyal comrade to someone else?

It pleases me to believe that, one day, this will be so. 

No comments: