Saturday, January 31, 2009

Hot laptops

I have had computer problems again. For the last three days my laptop has continually crashed. Finally I gave up and used my son-in-law’s desk-top (my old one now upgraded) to Google for a solution. The problem is that my laptop was getting too hot – not enough cooling air – and it has been very, very hot recently! The easiest and lowest cost solution was (is) to raise the back of the laptop a few centimetres off the surface of the desk to allow air to circulate – I am using a book. Problem solved. I have been fiddling around with it for a couple of hours now without a hitch.

If anyone else has this problem - allow cooling air under the laptop by raising the rear edge with a book. I now know that there are special fan driven coolers available but why pay for something when this works for free?

2 comments:

Brock Atkinson said...

Because the purpose of a laptop is to be portable and moved around. when a laptop is stationary, what is the advantage of having a laptop, when it's simply more expensive than a similar PC.

I have a UMPC, which is a computer about half the size of a generic notebook. I love it. But mine is portable. Why, I'm typing this comment sitting on my back verandah.

Andrewlifecoach said...

Thanks Brock. I also use mine as a portable much of the time. It is only in the evenings that I hook it up to a fixed line modem and a printer at my desk. It seems however that when the room temperature is too hot it crashes. Right now I am writing this in my bedroom - the only room with aircon! I use an Acer extensa dual core. I have upgraded the RAM to 2 gig. Much faster but I suppose it generates more heat?
Cheers