Saturday, June 13, 2009

Why we do things

We all want to be liked don’t we? We like to ‘get on’ with our fellow beings. Particularly close relations. Sometimes though we seem to take a perverse delight in annoying or disagreeing with one particular person – shall we pick on mothers-in-law? Now I get on quite well with mine, actually. If she has a go at me I have learned over the years to just switch off and peace, or at least some sort of truce, is maintained this way.

Now, as I was saying (before I got diverted by thoughts of my mother-in-law) we all liked to be liked or respected or admired in one way or another. No one likes to be ‘put down’ all the time. There may however be a conflict of interest at times. Take this morning for instance. In Perth it was a very cold if brilliantly clear 4 or 5 deg C, and there was I, at 8.30am on a Sunday morning, hanging out my grand-daughters clothes to dry on the line – and there seemed a mountain of them. My hands were freezing from handling the wet material. This was not what I would have chosen to do so why was I there? Was it because of a sense of duty? – my wife had arranged to go to church with a friend and was away from the house. Was it because I wanted to be liked by my daughter and to help her? – we are very close as it is and I have no need to ‘prove’ my love for her or to do anything to gain her love. Was it because I seek my grand-daughters love? – not at all, I love them regardless and they are too young to be able to express such fine emotional concepts but they seem to like me anyway.

So why was I there when I would rather be doing my own thing? After some thought about it (and partly because while writing this piece ideas arise) I think it is because I want to feel good about myself. Of course I love my daughter and grand-daughters; of course I have a sense of duty; but more than anything I want to like myself and do the ‘right thing’. That is what is ‘right’ for me. If I had not hung the clothes I would have felt uncomfortable all day – knowing that there was something that had to be done and I ‘failed’ in acknowledging my inner ‘urging’ to do what was necessary and so feel good within myself.

I suppose it is also an ethical thing – helping someone as I would (in similar circumstances) like to be helped (my son-in-law is in the process of repairing their washing-machine). But it is also because of love for my daughter and her family; and love for my wife – saving her from the task when she returned from church.

So there you have it – my good deed for the day! Now I must go and hang our washing (out of necessity) – because my wife has not yet returned from church.

A man’s work is never done!!

No comments: